History

history

Providence Academy opened its doors in August of 1993. It represented the concerted efforts and convictions of primarily seven families. After reading Doug Wilson’s book entitled “Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning”, and studying the classical, Trivium model, as described by Dorothy Sayers in her 1940′s article, “The Lost Tools of Learning”, it became their goal to provide high-quality Christian education for children by means of the Trivium. These families were Providence Academy’s first and founding steering committee. Providence quickly became a charter member of the Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS) and regularly attends the annual ACCS conferences.

Providence Academy began with eighteen students in rented facilities at the Westside Moravian Church on Green Bay’s west side. Primarily through word-of-mouth the school grew. Our preschool program was introduced for the 2005-2006 school year. In the spring of 2007, the vacant former St. Jude’s school facility became available to Providence Academy, located on 1420 Division Street on the west side of Green Bay. This outstanding building enabled us to continue toward our goals of reaching more families with a classical Christian education and expanding our offering to include high school grades. In 2016 by the grace of God, Providence Academy purchased 39 acres in Howard, WI and is in the process of designing and building a permanent school campus on that land. To date, by the grace of God, Providence Academy continues to grow, while staying committed to our small class sizes, loving staff and consistently high level of academic and biblical instruction.

The Providence Academy School Board and the administration are planning and praying toward further growth of the school, both in facilities and scope of the program, as more families become convinced of the necessity and advantages of a classical, Christ-centered education.

 

CrestPA_CREST ONLY_color

The Providence Academy crest is the sword and shield of a Paladin – a holy knight who stood for all that was true and virtuous. All that is true and all that is virtuous (Veritas et Virtus) has been embodied by Jesus Christ who is the Way the Truth and the Life. The shield harmonizes the head of a Lion and a Lamb, the representation of who Jesus is (Rev. 5:5-6). Jesus alone is the Lion of Judah who sits upon the throne at the right hand of God. To Him belongs all reverent praise and honor. Jesus exercised his kingly power by humbly offering himself for our iniquities as a sacrificial lamb upon the cross. In Christ we receive not what we deserve, but what his sacrificial love and grace provides; royal status (purple 1 Peter 2:9) and an eternal inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading (gold 1 Peter 1:4). The sword forms a cross, for that was where power and humility, justice and grace, truth and virtue met.